WW – Germany – Berlin – Berlin Kreuzberg.
The Anhalter Hochbunker is a former air raid shelter of the Deutsche Reichsbahn in Berlin’s Kreuzberg district on the site of the former Anhalter Bahnhof (today with access Schöneberger Straße 23a).
Under the Emergency Leader Program of 10 October 1940 bunkers for passers-by, travelers and residents were built at selected busy centers. “A decree of the Reich aviation Ministry ordered on 2.11.1940 further, that the Reichsbahn at all stations have to create shelters for the travelers.” Then, the bunker at Anhalter station was planned. He was designed for an occupancy of 3.000 people and served as a protective bunker in air strikes for passengers and staff of Anhalter station and an underground access for servants of the former post office SW 11 on the Möckernstraße.
Floor plan of the 1st lower floor
The construction of the hitchhiker bunker began at the end of 1941, the two basement levels with the ground-level cover plate were introduced in the spring of 1942, on July 21, 1942 was the reinforcement for the upper floors and on 9 October 1942 was Bunker building completed. “On the top floor were the rooms for the President of the Reichsbahn, press room and rooms for senior executives.” There were also rooms with jobs for typists and telephone booths and numerous “engine rooms”.
The bunker has three upper and two underground floors with a total area of approximately 6500 square meters. In addition to the above-ground entrances, the south exit of the Anhalter S-Bahn station was set up as access to the bunker. In addition there was an underground connection from the north-south tunnel and the hall of the Anhalter station. “In the lowest bunker floor, which is empty today, six locks passages of the former main entrance of the north-south rapid-transit railway tunnel still testify, which crowds [approx. 5.000 people] here once found protection from bombs. “In the lower area is also said to have been” a kind of command center “:” Here sat men in uniform and telephoned or operated a teleprinter. ”
Rest of the station (portal) since the ruin 1959
“From 1939 to 1943, life at the Anhalt station was largely spared the effects of the war. In the late autumn of 1943, the first bomber units of the Allies arrived via Berlin. It began the systematic destruction of the city. “At this time, the bunker was completed and he was thus able to accommodate those seeking protection. “The height of its destruction experienced the Anhalter station during the last major air attack of the Allies on 3 February 1945.”
(Sources: Anhalter Hochbunker Berlin )
Types[su_tooltip position=”top” rounded=”yes” size=”2″ content=”Only the objects we have found !”]:[/su_tooltip]
1x Air-raid shelter 5.000 pers.
Date(s) of visit(s): 05-2014